About This Quote
This quote was written by Mark Twain and is part of his essay “The Ugly American.” The author expresses his frustration with the attitude of some Americans toward foreigners. He explains that while people in the United States are taught to be polite and kind, the same standards do not apply to foreigners. Many Americans fail to understand that foreigners may speak and act in a way that is completely different from their own culture and beliefs.
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything.
- The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.
More Quotes By George Carlin
- Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you...
- It's important in life if you don't give a shit. It can help you a lot.
- Once you leave out all the bullshit they teach you in school, life gets really simple.
- May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
- We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. <span style="margin:15px; display:block"></span>And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don't even know how to...