What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' .. Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.Friedrich Nietzsche
About This Quote
Some might consider this a dark, or even a morbid thought. There is something disturbing about the idea of being cursed for all eternity. We don’t want to spend an eternity with demons, but we also have a feeling that there’s something to the idea. When we think about it, perhaps there is some truth to it.
Consider that once we die, we cease to exist in this world. We aren’t gone forever, but we are no longer around in any significant capacity. If we could live again and spend all of eternity with a god or demon, would we not do so? It seems like a fate worse than death.
Yet, if our soul is immortal and can live forever, then there’s no reason for us not to live again and again until the end of time itself.
Source: The Gay Science
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.
- Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears." After all this time?"" Always, " said Snape.
More Quotes By Friedrich Nietzsche
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.
- There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
- The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.
- One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.
- Amor Fati — “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.