I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why. .Stephen Chbosky
About This Quote
This is a powerful and moving short piece by Raymond Carver, about how he looks at the people around him and wonders where they came from and how they all got to be here. He describes his wonderment as a sort of sadness, and the sadness that comes with the knowledge that we are all just passing through this life.
Source: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.
- Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears." After all this time?"" Always, " said Snape.
More Quotes By Stephen Chbosky
- We accept the love we think we deserve.
- I would die for you. But I won't live for you.
- What about when someone doesn't need a shoulder? What if they need the arms?
- I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am.
- Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.