In a village where everyone has only one leg, the biped will hop about more lamely than anyone else, if he knows what is good for him.
About This Quote
The legs we have are given to us by God and we must use them for our good. If we do not, He will take them away and we will be like the villagers in the story. It is better to make sure we always do good with our legs than to worry about getting them back.
Source: Knowing How To Know: A Practical Philosophy In The Sufi Tradition
Some Similar Quotes
- When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.
- The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.
- You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection
- In youth, it was a way I had, To do my best to please. And change, with every passing lad To suit his theories. But now I know the things I know And do the things I do, And if you do not like me...
- You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and...
More Quotes By Idries Shah
- In a village where everyone has only one leg, the biped will hop about more lamely than anyone else, if he knows what is good for him.
- One day we will all wear a garment which has no pockets...
- Wisdom is when you understand what, previously, at best you only knew.
- SAYING OF SHEIKH ZIAUDIN:Self-justification is worse than the original offence.
- It is not Sufism if it does not perform its function for you. A cloak is no longer a cloak if it does not keep a man warm.