He wasn't the type for displays of affection, either verbal or not. He was disgusted by couples that made out in the hallways between classes, and got annoyed at even the slightest sappy moments in movies. But I knew he cared about me: he just conveyed it more subtly, as concise with expressing this emotion as he was with everything else. It was in the way he'd put his hand on the small of my back, for instance, or how he'd smile at me when I said something that surprised him. Once I might have wanted more, but I'd come around to his way of thinking in the time we'd been together. And we were together, all the time. So he didn't have to prove how he felt about me. Like so much else, I should just know.Sarah Dessen
About This Quote
This quote is a great example of a writer who knows how to paint a picture with just the right words. The way it starts off with the narrator telling us about not being able to read his boyfriend’s mind, and then goes on to tell us what he does know, makes this one of those quotes that you can almost hear as you read it. It has such a dramatic effect that we really feel like we’re in the room with the narrator and we can see and feel everything through his eyes.
Source: The Truth About Forever
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
More Quotes By Sarah Dessen
- There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.
- Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.
- No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater... The love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that's the key. It's like...
- You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.
- I like flaws. I think they make things interesting.