Few people understood the exceptional role the civil rights movement had on the white boys and girls of the South. Bill Clinton would never have become who he was without the shining example of Martin Luther King. The same is true of Jimmy Carter and Fritz Hollings and Richard and Joe Riley. Imagine this: you’re a little white kid and you watch firehoses turned on people who don’t seem to be hurting anyone, and fierce dogs being tuned on young men who carry signs about freedom. We white kids grew up watching movies and TV and guess what we had learned to do? We had learned to tell the good guys from the bad guys.Pat Conroy
About This Quote
The civil rights movement was a large issue that impacted the entire world and not just the American South. After World War II and the end of segregation, many African American people wanted to be treated equally in the United States. At that time, whites were in charge of America and they would not allow African Americans to run for president. The African American community would not take no for an answer and they were determined to get their rights back.
This is one of the reasons why Bill Clinton was elected president in 1992. He was President during this time when many people were fighting for their civil rights. This also explains why Richard Nixon was impeached by Congress in 1974 because he violated the law when he tried to stop African American people from voting.
Some Similar Quotes
- It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid,...
- I am not an angel, ' I asserted; 'and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me - for you will not get it, any more than I shall...
- The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
- They say a good love is one that sits you down, gives you a drink of water, and pats you on top of the head. But I say a good love is one that casts you into the wind, sets you ablaze, makes you burn...
- Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens
More Quotes By Pat Conroy
- I wanted to become the seeker, the aroused and passionate explorer, and it was better to go at it knowing nothing at all, always choosing the unmarked bottle, always choosing your own unproven method, armed with nothing but faith and a belief in astonishment.
- I’ve never had anyone’s approval, so I’ve learned to live without it.
- It did not look like the work of God, but it might have represented the handicraft of a God with a joyous sense of humor, a dancing God who loved mischief as much as prayer, and playfulness as much as mischief.
- The tide was a poem that only time could create, and I watched it stream and brim and makes its steady dash homeward, to the ocean.
- Happiness is an accident of nature, a beautiful and flawless aberration.