By hook or by crook, I hope that you will possess yourselves of money enough to travel and to idle, to contemplate the future or the past of the world, to dream over books and loiter at street corners and let the line of thought dip deep into the streamVirginia Woolf
About This Quote
"By hook or by crook" refers to taking actions to reach one's goal, such as cheating or lying. This quote is Alfred Lord Tennyson's interpretation of Horace's poem, "Odes" (I.5.7). Horace had written: "The mind, like a clear brook, leaps over rocks." The idiom "by hook or by crook" means by any means necessary. "Crook" also has the meaning of an evil or crooked person.
Some Similar Quotes
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.
More Quotes By Virginia Woolf
- One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
- Love, the poet said, is woman's whole existence.
- Dearest, I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. <span style="margin:15px; display:block"></span>So I am doing what seems the...
- What does the brain matter compared with the heart?
- To love makes one solitary.