Michel De Montaigne
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
About This Quote
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. In this quote, the author of this quote makes it very clear that he believes the greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. This quote comes from a text book called "The Great Books", and the author is called "Charles Baudelaire". Baudelaire is a French poet and literary critic who is known for his use of symbolism and high style.
This poem illustrates Baudelaire's philosophy that it is amazing how much we enjoy doing those things that we do not need to do. It is almost as if we do them just because they are enjoyable, but then we repress our desire for them because we know they are not necessary. This quote is an example of how humans can find pleasure in things we do not need, and it creates a sense of worry for those who do not understand this phenomenon.
Source: The Complete Essays
Some Similar Quotes
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.
More Quotes By Michel De Montaigne
- If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
- The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
- I do not care so much what I am to others as I care what I am to myself.
- I quote others only in order the better to express myself.
- Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by dozens.