There is no thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live single-issue lives.
About This Quote
A single-issue struggle is one that focuses on a single issue, such as women's rights or the rights of the disabled. The problem with these types of struggles is that they don’t address the needs of people who aren’t in the right situation in the first place. For example, a woman in a position of power who still hasn’t challenged her boss for sexual harassment can’t expect others to support her. A disabled person living in poverty can’t expect others to support him for fighting for food and housing.
The problem is that we live multi-issue lives. We live in a world where we must work with people across many issues to make our lives better.
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.
- Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears." After all this time?"" Always, " said Snape.
More Quotes By Audre Lorde
- I want to live the rest of my life, however long or short, with as much sweetness as I can decently manage, loving all the people I love, and doing as much as I can of the work I still have to do. I am...
- There is no thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live single-issue lives.
- I was going to die, sooner or later, whether or not I had even spoken myself. My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect you.. What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies you swallow day by...
- My silences had not protected me. Your silence will not protect you. But for every real word spoken, for every attempt I had ever made to speak those truths for which I am still seeking, I had made contact with other women while we examined...
- I have a duty to speak the truth as I see it and share not just my triumphs, not just the things that felt good, but the pain, the intense, often unmitigated pain. It is important to share how I know survival is survival and...