I'm drawn to write about upstate New York in the way in which a dreamer might have recurring dreams. My childhood and girlhood were spent in upstate New York, in the country north of Buffalo and West of Rochester. So this part of New York state is very familiar to me and, with its economic difficulties, has become emblematic of much of American life.Joyce Carol Oates
About This Quote
Upstate New York is a region of the state of New York. It stretches from the New York City suburbs to the west, through the Finger Lakes Region and Southern Tier Region to the east. It is located north of Buffalo, east of Rochester, and south of Albany. It is commonly referred to as the Upstate or Uptown region. Upstate New York is also known as the "Silk Stocking" region due to its high concentration of wealthy residents in a relatively small area.
Some Similar Quotes
- And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
- You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
- The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
- Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
- The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But...
More Quotes By Joyce Carol Oates
- The worst thing: to give yourself away in exchange for not enough love.
- In love there are two things - bodies and words.
- A daydreamer is prepared for most things.
- If you are a writer you locate yourself behind a wall of silence and no matter what you are doing, driving a car or walking or doing housework you can still be writing, because you have that space.
- And this is the forbidden truth, the unspeakable taboo - that evil is not always repellent but frequently attractive; that it has the power to make of us not simply victims, as nature and accident do, but active accomplices.