About This Quote
There are two kinds of people in the world. There are those who want to be welcomed, and those who want to be unbidden. The people who wish to be welcomed are people who give you things. They give you books, flowers, gifts, cards.
Those who want to be unwelcomed are people who do not need anything from anyone. They don't offer anything either; they just live their lives. If you enter their life, you become unwanted.
But if you enter their life unwillingly, you can never escape. The best way to avoid unwelcome situations is to stay away from people like that. The best way to avoid them entirely is to never know them at all.
Some Similar Quotes
- Every great love starts with a great story...
- I knew, in the silence that followed, that anything could happen here. It might be too late: again, I might have missed my chance. But I would at least know I tried, that I took my heart and extended my hand, whatever the outcome." Okay,...
- You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question.
- I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. <span style="margin:15px; display:block"></span>Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are...
- My soul will find yours.
More Quotes By Joyce Carol Oates
- The worst thing: to give yourself away in exchange for not enough love.
- In love there are two things - bodies and words.
- A daydreamer is prepared for most things.
- If you are a writer you locate yourself behind a wall of silence and no matter what you are doing, driving a car or walking or doing housework you can still be writing, because you have that space.
- And this is the forbidden truth, the unspeakable taboo - that evil is not always repellent but frequently attractive; that it has the power to make of us not simply victims, as nature and accident do, but active accomplices.