We join spokes together in a wheel, but it is the center hole that makes the wagon move. We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness insidethat holds whatever we want. We hammer wood for a house, but it is the inner spacethat makes it livable. We work with being, but non-being is what we use.Lao Tzu
About This Quote
A pot is not a house. A house is not a wheel.A wheel is not a pot. Instead, they are all different modes of being. They are all different ways of working with being.
A pot, for instance, is full of emptiness, its emptiness holding whatever you want. A house can be built out of wood, but it is the emptiness within the wood that holds the house together and makes it livable.
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
More Quotes By Lao Tzu
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
- LoveEmbracing Tao, you become embraced. Supple, breathing gently, you become reborn. Clearing your vision, you become clear. Nurturing your beloved, you become impartial. Opening your heart, you become accepted. Accepting the World, you embrace Tao.Bearing and nurturing, Creating but not owning, Giving without demanding, Controlling...
- We join spokes together in a wheel, but it is the center hole that makes the wagon move. We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness insidethat holds whatever we want. We hammer wood for a house, but it is the inner...
- Because of a great love, one is courageous.
- Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies, you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.