How will you go about finding that thing the nature of which is totally unknown to you?" (Plato) The things we want are transformative, and we don’t know or only think we know what is on the other side of that transformation. Love, wisdom, grace, inspiration- how do you go about finding these things that are in some ways about extending the boundaries of the self into unknown territory, about becoming someone else? .Rebecca Solnit
About This Quote
If you want to find something that is unknown to you, perhaps the best way is to go out and experience new things. When you are really open to new experiences, you will recognize their transformative power. You might also be surprised by the things that inspire you. The world is filled with so many possibilities, so many ways to expand your horizons, so many ways of being a better person. In this way, you will be able to find those things that are of ultimate importance to you.
Source: A Field Guide To Getting Lost
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
More Quotes By Rebecca Solnit
- The desire to go home that is a desire to be whole, to know where you are, to be the point of intersection of all the lines drawn through all the stars, to be the constellation-maker and the center of the world, that center called...
- Leave the door open for the unknown, the door into the dark. That’s where the most important things come from, where you yourself came from, and where you will go.
- How will you go about finding that thing the nature of which is totally unknown to you?" (Plato) The things we want are transformative, and we don’t know or only think we know what is on the other side of that transformation. Love, wisdom, grace,...
- Hope is not a lottery ticket you can sit on the sofa and clutch, feeling lucky. It is an axe you break down doors with in an emergency. Hope should shove you out the door, because it will take everything you have to steer the...
- The positive emotions that arise in...unpromising circumstances demonstrate that social ties and meaningful work are deeply desired, readily improvised, and intensely rewarding. The very structure of our economy and society prevent these goals from being achieved.