Just beyond the ticket booth Father had painted on a wall in bright red letters the question: DO YOU KNOW WHICH IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE ZOO? An arrow pointed to a small curtain. There were so many eager, curious hands that pulled at the curtain that we had to replace it regularly. Behind it was a mirror.Yann Martel
About This Quote
The zoo was a great place. There were animals of all different shapes and sizes, and there was something for everyone. Even for those who didn’t like animals, there were still many other things to do to make the day go by quickly. It was exciting and educational, and we had a great time together.
One of my favorite memories of the zoo is when we were there with my mother and my brother. We went to the mirror behind the curtain and looked at ourselves in the mirror. My mother said, “Look at us.
I wonder if we look like you or me.” My brother started laughing because he knew that my mother wasn’t talking about our looks but our personalities. He was always teasing her about what she looked like, so this made him laugh even more. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw myself with long blond hair, blue eyes, and freckles all over my face.
I thought that I was beautiful, but I couldn’t see any resemblance between myself and my mother or brother. When I saw them in the mirror with their brown hair, hazel eyes, and no freckles on their faces, I realized that they didn’t look like me or anyone else in our family at all. This reminded me of how important appearance is in our society today.
We are constantly told that appearance is very important in our culture today, which is why people spend so much time on their appearance each day to look perfect before going out in public or when they are on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
Source: Life Of Pi
Some Similar Quotes
- I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.
- This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like...
- When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.
- Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears." After all this time?"" Always, " said Snape.
More Quotes By Yann Martel
- I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart. I still cannot understand how he...
- To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
- Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of...
- Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously, without any sort of goodbye, without looking...
- You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.