Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.Kahlil Gibran
About This Quote
There is a huge difference between the words “love” and “together.” Or, put another way, there is a huge difference between love and togetherness. The first word is not about what we do, but who we are. The second word is all about what we do. Love is about how we treat each other.
Togetherness is about how we live together. In this quote, William Shakespeare again shows us the importance of love and of relationships. But he also makes a great point about the importance of space in our relationships.
Source: The Prophet
Some Similar Quotes
- Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for...
- As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.
- I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you,...
- Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.
- There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.
More Quotes By Kahlil Gibran
- If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.
- Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but...
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
- When love beckons to you follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice...
- No human relation gives one possession in another–every two souls are absolutely different. In friendship or in love, the two side by side raise hands together to find what one cannot reach alone.