To lose a brother is to lose someone with whom you can share the experience of growing old, who is supposed to bring you a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews, creatures who people the tree of your life and give it new branches. To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches. To lose your mother, well, that is like losing the sun above you. It is like losing-- I'm sorry, I would rather not go on. .Yann Martel
About This Quote
When you lose a brother, you are losing the support of someone whose wisdom and experience you can draw on throughout your life. When you lose a father, you are losing the one who gives you guidance and helps you to grow. When you lose a mother, you are losing the one who provides the sun above your head--the one who would have supported you throughout life, no matter what happened to you. When people lose their parents, they are losing the ones who have been there for them through everything.
Source: Life Of Pi
Some Similar Quotes
- The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
- Is it possible, in the final analysis, for one human being to achieve perfect understanding of another? We can invest enormous time and energy in serious efforts to know another person, but in the end, how close can we come to that person's essence? We...
- The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.
- He suddenly recalled from Plato's Symposium: People were hermaphrodites until God split then in two, and now all the halves wander the world over seeking one another. Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost.
- It does not matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in life that matters,
More Quotes By Yann Martel
- I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart. I still cannot understand how he...
- To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
- Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of...
- Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously, without any sort of goodbye, without looking...
- You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.